list of early settlers and the dates and acreage they purchased
photo - Johnson's Lumber,
was hauled along Redwood Canyon on
its way to the the lumber yard
members gather at the Jensen house.
Castro Valley's Founding Families
Faxton Atherton sold off Don Castro's remaining land in smaller parcels.
And so, between 1852 and 1872, the valley grew.
A large portion, 2,400 acres, was purchased by Misters Cull and Luce,
who erected a steam operated saw mill in the area of Redwood Canyon.
As many as nine other mills operated and harvested the redwood trees
in what is now Redwood Regional park.
Cull Canyon remains as a namesake of this purchase.
Some of the old building still remain in Cull Canyon where their orchards
once covered the hills.
The Jensen brothers, E.R. and J.C. Jensen, purchased land in the foothills
from Atherton in 1867. A house was ready for occupancy in 1872 and
was of a "salt box" design. A dormer window was added in 1882 and other
additions followed in time -- a cement foundation, extra bed and bathrooms
in 1939. Always well maintained, these were the only additions to the original
It is probably one of the oldest homes in Alameda county continually
lived in by descendants of the original family.