Barns and Tomato fields once stood where the
Castro Village Shopping Center (Castro Valley Boulevard at Santa Maria
Avenue) now is. The Center, developed by R.T. Nahas, was completed in 1949.
This aerial view of Castro Valley was taken in 1960. Housing tracts
were springing up at the end of WWII,
filling in the former orchards and open fields. In this photo the surrounding
foothills and canyons were still empty.