Charles Cook brought many prized sheep with him from England to the
tall grasses of Palomares Canyon. Chouinard Winery is now located
on part of his original estate.
This photo shows the warehouses leveled in the "Great One," the earthquake
of 1869. In the left foreground is the Hayward Hotel and in the back and
to the right of the center is the Eden Congregational Church.