One of the First of some 12 hatcheries on the Castro Valley Boulevard
was "Hayward Rio- Linda." Kale was grown in a nearby field to feed
the growing flocks.
In the 1920s, they could hatch several thousand chicks a week.
The chicks were boxed, 100 each in divided boxes and shipped all over
the world. Or delivered locally by truck.
In 1934, the more modern, California State Hatcherey was built (Owned
then by the Lorge family), near the corner of Stanton and the Boulevard.
After 21 days of incubation, the chick is formed from the white of the egg with the yolk in its stomach. This enabled the chick to go without food or water for 48 hours. This was the safe shipping time for chicks.
- Skip to a specific page here -
| Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 |
To go back to the front page of the CV history
To go back to www.MyCastroValley.com