Ray and Lucille Lorge's families both
had roots deep in Castro Valley's past; and both families made many contributions
to the growth of Castro Valley.
Lucille's great-grandfather, Henry
Thomford, open the first business in the area in the mid-19th century known
as the Exchange. Situated on the old Dublin Road, where Grove Way and Redwood
Road now meet, ranchers would herd their cattle past the Exchange, driving
their stock towards San Francisco. It was a good place to water the horses
and stop for a beer.
Ray's father, Cyril Lorge, was
part owner of the Rio-Linda Hatchery in the 1920s when chicken ranching
became an integral part of the Castro Valley economy. In 1934, they changed
the name to the California State Hatchery. Cyril was an active member of
the all volunteer fire department for Castro Valley.
Ray and Lucille both worked in
the family hatchery and went on to open R. & J. Quik Clean . He was
a past president of Castro Valley Rotary, who holds an annual golf-fundraiser
in his name, and served on the Municipal Advisory Committee to Alameda County.
Both Ray and Lucille were active
in the Hayward Historical Society. Lucille continues as a volunteer and